Saturday, April 10, 2010

My Insanity Workout Journey


Ok… So, 30 days ago I decided that I wanted to change my life. Really, it started as just another New Years resolution. Every year I tell my family and myself that I promise to quit smoking and get in shape. I always start off pretty good and then I burn-out and go right back to smoking newports and eating pizza (hence the name of this blog). Every year I also tell myself that this year will be different… This year I will stick too it… Nope! Never happens… But, this year is a new year and a new promise. In order to keep this promise, I have decided to start posting on this blog and hopefully the world can help me out. Also, I might be able to inspire and help others along the way on my journey.

In January 2010, I started my second round of P90x. My first round went pretty good. Let me give you guys the background. I’m in the military and I saw the infomercial for P90x on TV late one night. I was skeptical, but figured that it might help me get in shape for my annual physical fitness test. Since I live in Alaska, it can be a little interesting, to say the least, trying to workout up here during the winter months. I had let myself go over the holidays again and decided to order the DVD’s last year. I was up to over 200lbs and was just feeling old and miserable. I got the DVD’s late March 2009 and tested that May. I told my wife that I was going to be a Spartan for Halloween...LOL... I was motivated and stuck with P90x for about 60 days. I went from 200lbs down to 174lbs! I had almost a 40-inch waist on day 1 and got down to a 35-inch waist on my test day in May. I felt great and passed my test. But, then I just gave up and stopped working-out again. I had passed my test and it was over. Also, I never quit smoking that entire time and I never became a Spartan.

This brings us to January 2010 and why I started my second round of P90x. See, I have been on high cholesterol medication since I was 26. My cholesterol has been in the 400 total point range before. No matter how I changed my diet or how much I worked-out, it never would drop on its own. Thus, I was put on meds; but I never really took them. I felt like I was too young to be put on these types of meds. I truly believed that high cholesterol was something old people got and I was young and invincible. Well, this year a young person I know was diagnosed with cancer. He is younger than me and it has gotten me scared to death! Then I went in for my yearly physical and the doctor asked if I was taking any medication? I said “No” and she said, “Why aren’t you taking your high cholesterol medication?” It was a setup! I had no answer… Nothing to say… She told me that I’m a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen. She explained that all the years that I had been smoking and not taking my meds had no doubt caused polyps and artery buildup. I was thinking to myself that I’m only 34 and will be turning 35 in June and this lady is talking to me about strokes and heart attacks?!? That was it! I had to take control of my life and my body! I have 2 daughters I want to walk down the aisle one day and a son I want to raise to be a better man then I ever will. I can’t do that sitting in an urn on my widows’ mantel.

So, I started doing P90x again and set a date to quit smoking. I had quit smoking before, about 5 years ago. I quit smoking for a 2-year period, but I got sent to fight a war and started back again. I quit cold turkey and that is the only way I feel that I can quit and stay quit. I have tried all the pills, patches, and gums; but I always started right back after I stopped taking them. Cold turkey is the best way!

The P90x workouts were good, but I really wanted more cardio. That is the only problem I have with P90x. The muscle building exercises are awesome, but the cardio workouts just weren’t giving me what I wanted. I needed something with more cardio… Something that was going to get me ready for my physical fitness test that consist of: 1.5 mile run, as many pushups you can do in 60 seconds, as many crunches you can do in 60 seconds, and a waist measurement. P90x covered most of it, but the run… Also, I wanted to slim down and P90x seemed to be buffing me up more. So, I started to modify P90x by doing the Plyometric workout 3 days a week and doing the other muscle building workouts for the other 3 days. I didn’t do the other cardio workouts (e.g. Kenpo, Core Synergetics, Cardio X, etc…), just Plyo. Plyo was the best cardio workout of the bunch and was one of my favorites.

Then one night I was up late and saw an infomercial for Insanity. Insanity is made by the same company that makes P90x; Beachbody. Once again I was a skeptic, but it looked like the cardio workout I had been longing for. Plus, I already owned P90x and I’m a believer in the products Beachbody puts out. I thought, ok, lets give it a shot!

The DVD’s came in and I did the pre-test at work one night. At the time, I was working night shift and all the guys sat there and cracked jokes while I did the test. But, about half way through it, all the jokes stopped. The guys started to realize that this was no joke. I huffed and puffed my 198lbs butt through the test. Well, after I was done, the other guys wanted to try it. They got their workout clothes and huffed and puffed their way through the test. These guys were in better shape, yet only did a little better then me on the test! I was sold! And the guys weren’t laughing anymore… They are all believers now and that was just the pre-test!

I started the first week and it sucked! I knew that there was no way I was going to be able to do this and smoke. More reason to quit, aye?!? I quit the second week in and haven’t had one since. The first month consist of Plyometric Cardio Circuit training, Cardio Power and Resistance, Cardio Recovery, Pure Cardio, and Cardio ABS, which you start at the end of week two. I have to say, that these workouts are tougher then P90x, in that I still can’t make it through without taking breaks. Nobody in the DVD’s can either though, so I don’t feel that bad… LOL… Also, P90x has never made me vomit… I can’t count how many times I have vomited in the first two weeks trying to do these workouts! Though, it never gets easier, it does get better. I find myself going longer and longer without breaks. Thus, the silver lining!

Let me break down the workouts:

Plyometric Cardio Circuit Training: It is just what it says it is and is a killer workout. Plyo is a whole lot of jumping and running in place after the warm-up. Circuit training is actually the 30-second rest you get in-between sets. Shaun T (the trainer) talks about watching your heart-rate and the point to circuit training is to speed up and then rest… Then speed up again and then rest…

Cardio Power and Resistance: Is an awesome power workout with lots of leg power moves and pushups, as well. This workout will get your legs stronger, while giving you a killer cardio workout.

Cardio Recovery: Is a nice break during the week. I look forward to it. It is a lot of stretching that really feels good mid week.

Pure Cardio and Cardio ABS: Nonstop cardio! This one kills! You do all the exercises with no breaks! It starts off light and gets worst and worst (or better and better… LOL). Then when you are worn out, you do Cardio ABS. Cardio ABS is an awesome AB workout where you do no sit-ups or crunches! Your back never hits the ground! I love it! These two are my favorite workouts so far. But, I break them up… I do Pure Cardio in the AM and Cardio ABS in the PM.

Now, the most important thing is the diet. If you aren’t eating right, then you will not lose weight. I was following the diet to the letter at first… But, now, I just eat healthy period. My logic is I’m not trying to do this for only 60 days. This is a lifestyle change for me, so I just used the basic blueprint from P90x and the Insanity meal plans and that is just how I eat. I can really gage my calorie intake now. I was tracking it for so long, that after awhile, you really just learn how to eat. I will post some of the diet things I do as time goes on…

Another important thing is supplements. I have found that the most beneficial thing is a good recovery drink. I use vanilla Isopure, Glutamine, and Chocolate Soy Milk… That’s right, Chocolate milk is one of the best recovery drinks out there.

Read here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/152240.php

I haven’t really found anything I like for pre-workout. I used AMP for a bit, but it tore my stomach apart and I hated the way it made me feel. If anyone has any ideas on what to use, get at me. There are also supplements and recovery drinks that you can buy from beachbody, as well. I haven't tried any of them yet.

Well, this is enough for my first post… I’m done with the first month and starting my recovery week. Then all hell breaks loose in the next 30 days, with new workouts! I will keep you all posted.

Now for the pictures…

Below are the pics of day 1 and day 30. I will post day 60 and day 90 and so on and so forth. I plan on mixing it with P90x after day 60… I will try to post on this blog once or twice a week from here on out.

Late

S





Insanity Workout
Number of DVDs: 10
Workouts: Fit Test, Plyometric Cardio Circuit, Cardio Power & Resistance, Cardio Recovery, Pure Cardio and Abs, Cardio Abs, Core Cardio and Balance, Max Interval Circuit, Max Interval Plyo, and Max Cardio Conditioning & Abs.
Results seen in: 60 days
Fitness commitment: You are instructed to workout six days a week for the first four weeks of the Insanity Workout. Then you perform the Recovery workouts for one week before you complete the rest of the program. Workout DVDs last 40 to 60 minutes.
Cost: $119.95, plus$12.95 shipping and handling.


Share

3 comments:

Renee' said...

HOLY MOLY!! Great results after only 30 days. Your story really is inspiring for people I wanted to let you know that. I have done Insanity one round and P90X twice and now a hybrid program with both programs. Would you mind sharing a bit of your review with my readers from my website? I think a review from a non-Beachbody Coach would be awesome. http://www.home-fitness-workouts.com/beachbody-insanity.html

BTW--have you ever been asked about becoming a Beachbody coach? Thanks so much in advance and KEEP up the GREAT work! That is awesome!

Renee' said...

Stan--A Big thank you for sharing your story on my website. I was going to email you to say thanks but I couldn't find it again. If you get a chance, would you mind emailing me at renee@home-fitness-workouts.com I wanted to send you some information via email. Thanks again and keep pushing play!!!! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say "Awesome Results Bro!" I have seen your video on Youtube.com One of my motivation factors for sure! Keep it Up! Thanks Again, Rob