Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Final Verdict on the Insanity Workout Challenge

So, I have taken the Insanity challenge and made it through in one piece! I made it to day 63 on 21 May, 2010 and I truly feel that Insanity has changed my life forever. I have come a long way from day 1 until now and I’m astonished on what I have accomplished. Over the past 2 months I have quit smoking and traded one addiction for another. I am now addicted to working out and bettering myself physically and mentally. I feel that I have the physical thing down; but the mental thing may take some time, which is for me to talk about in a different blog… LOL! I have also loss 23 lbs and 7 inches off my waist! I have changed the way I eat, the way I look, the way I think, the way I live; I have changed my life! This is all because I took a chance on an infomercial workout DVD.

Here are my final results:

Weight:

Day 1: 198 lbs/ Day 63: 175 lbs

Waist:

Day 1: 38 inches/ Day 63: 31 inches

Every two weeks or so, during Insanity, you have to take this brutal fit test. You take the test at the beginning of the program and it’s basically a baseline to track your progress. I chose to only take this test twice; once at the beginning and once at the end. People who know me know that I’m an “all or nothing” kind of guy. That being said, I looked at the fit test as something that I was training for and it would be sink or swim time at the end. I felt that doing the fit test throughout the program would make it seem inconsequential in many ways for me. I didn’t want to “dumb down” the importance of that last test. The last test would end up being my Super Bowl and if I didn’t make extreme improvements at the end; then I would have to take the “L” and come back harder. But, I was happy with my results and it worked out great for me! I did see areas during the test I could improve on during my next rounds; but overall I was proud of my performance. The fit tests consist of:

  • Switch Kicks – Standing up straight and alternately kicking each leg out in front as high as you can. As many as you can do in 60 seconds.
  • Squat Jacks – Jumping jacks, only in Squat Jacks you go down into a full squat at the end of every repetition. As many as you can do in 60 seconds.
  • Power Knees – Standing up straight with your hands interlaced overhead, and then bringing 1 knee up at an angle across your body as many times as you can. As many as you can do in 60 seconds.
  • Power Jumps – Down into a full squat and then leaping up into the air as far as you can. As many as you can do in 60 seconds.
  • Globe Jumps (I hate these!) – One hop back, one hop to the right, one hop forward, and one hop to the left equals 1 repetition. As many as you can do in 60 seconds.
  • Suicide Jumps – From a standing position down into a plank position, then back to standing and then leap straight into the air. As many as you can do in 60 seconds.
  • Push Up Jacks – Regular pushups, only you spread your feet wide apart and then bring them back together on every single repetition. As many as you can do in 60 seconds.
  • Low Plank Obliques – From a plank position, keep your upper body totally still while alternatively bringing each knee up as close to your shoulders as possible. As many as you can do in 60 seconds.

Here are my results:

Fit Test:
Day 1: S.K. = 55/ Day 63: S.K. = 150
Day 1: P.J. = 27/ Day 63: P.J. = 61
Day 1: P.K. = 59/ Day 63: P.K. = 103
Day 1: P.JP. = 20/ Day 63: P.JP. = 61
Day 1: G.J. = 7/ Day 63: G.J. = 11
Day 1: S.J. = 12/ Day 63: S.J. = 18
Day 1: P.U.J. = 20/ Day 63: P.U.J. = 41
Day 1: L.P.O. = 43/ Day 63: L.P.O. = 63

Insanity claims to be the hardest workout put on DVD. They also claim that they can get you where you want to be physically in only 60 days. That is 30 days shorter then P90X! When you hear these claims, you think that there is no way that it is that hard and there is no way it is going to get me in shape in 60 days. Only the latter of these statements could be true for some people. This program is really built for people that are already in some kind of shape. It is also made for those who have the discipline to stay committed to a physical regiment of this magnitude. Now, not everybody will see the same results that I have; but I am convinced that if you stay committed to the program, you will see results.

The most important part of this plan would have to be the diet. I’m no nutritionist, but I realized the importance of eating right from day 1. Did I follow the diet plan to the letter? Hell no! LOL… But honestly, for the first two weeks I counted my calories and followed the diet plan. See, I had already done P90X and basically knew how to eat. The thing I noticed about the Insanity diet plan verses the P90X plan was the carbohydrates. You can eat way more carbs on the Insanity plan, which is a good thing because you use every single carb during the workouts. After a few weeks, I slowly started to stray from the plan and incorporated my own eating habits. I looked at this as a lifestyle change and I wasn’t going to just eat from this book for the rest of my life… Now, that would be insane… LOL! So, I used the Insanity meal plan and the P90X meal plan as the framework for what I wanted to eat. I Google'd and researched a lot of different things on eating right and just started eating healthy stuff I wanted to eat. Furthermore, after counting calories for awhile, you can really gauge your intake in a day without literally counting. Using the formula in the Insanity plan, I was supposed to intake like 2000 calories a day to get to my goal of 165 lbs. That rarely happened… LOL… Do you know how hard it is to eat that much healthy shit in one day? Without coming off the diet to just get calories; getting to 2000 calories a day was a very difficult thing for me. Thus, I tweaked my diet a lot during Insanity. I noticed that I would stop losing weight… Tweak the diet… I would feel fatigued during the workouts… Tweak the diet… I would feel sore and wouldn’t recover fast enough… Tweak the diet… I would feel or look bloated… Tweak the diet… I wasn’t sleeping well… Tweak the diet… Diet, diet, diet!!!! I can’t stress the importance of a healthy diet while doing Insanity or any other workout plan. It is the key to your results and success! I plan on experimenting with the Zig-Zag calorie intake method next; to help me lose another 10 lbs. I will talk about that in another post.

During Insanity I experimented with a lot of supplements. I can't stress the importance of good supplements and vitamins while doing Insanity. I used GNC AMP Muscle Igniter 4X at the beginning and didn’t like the way it made me feel. First off, it gave me the “bubble guts” if I took it on a empty stomach and the second problem was the ignite heat shock proteins (HSPs). This HSP Activator is involved in releasing heat shock proteins during exercise. HSPs are proteins included by heat or other stresses that play a role in muscle physiology and are multi-functional. Well, that HSP stuff just made me extremely hot and sweaty all day. Even hours after my workout, I was still sweating profusely. It really sucked! Then I used USP Labs Jack3D once and almost died. That shit made me feel like my heart was going to explode and dribble down my leg, half way through the Plyometric Cardio Circuit workout. Not good! Finally, I just started using Hydroxycut Hardcore for the majority of the final month. Hydroxycut really isn’t a workout supplement and did nothing but give me a really nice caffeine rush during my workouts. It gave me energy without killing my heart-rate or giving me a stomach ache. I only lost 5 lbs during the month I was using it, so I really didn’t see the massive weight loss effects that they claim it has. Finally, I have recently started using MRI Black Powder and I love it so far. Black Powder is a NOS up-regulated pre-training formula with instant release formula spiked with ACTINOS2 IR (MRI's new technology). It's loaded with B vitamins and raw muscle fuel like MCTs and malic acid so your energy metabolism remains efficient and steady throughout even the toughest parts of a workout. Supposedly, the ACTINOS2 IR creates an "instant blast" of nitric oxide, creating levels 950% greater than previously possible. It’s also a blood doper that causes blood channels to "hyper-dilate" - driving Black Powder's nutrient matrix to muscle. At the same time, the spike of 950% more nitric oxide amplifies the "cell-signaling" and magnifies the signals that control both muscle performance and muscle size. Now, is all that just bull-shit? Maybe, but it is the best supplementation I have used so far and it makes me feel like a beast with no side-effects... So, I likes it! As far as vitamins go, I just used Mega Man Sport, which seemed like a good multi-vitamin that turned my piss florescent yellow. So, it must be good, aye? Lastly, you have to have an awesome recovery drink. This is a must for Insanity and I used Vanilla or Dutch Chocolate Zero Carb Isopure, GNC Pure Glutamine Powder, and Chocolate Soy Milk. I swear by chocolate milk as a recovery drink! There are so many studies that have shown that it is the best thing out there and it taste like awesomeness! I use soy because I’m lactose, but I’m sure 2% low fat would work just fine. Couple it with the Isopure protein and the Glutamine for joint recovery; you can’t go wrong with it. Not only is this drink an awesome recovery; it can also be a meal replacement if you want. You can add Banana, peanut butter, berries, oats, and all kinds of stuff to it. It is great!

Finally, you have to have a good pair of shoes. I used a pair of Nike basketball shoes at first and they worked out pretty good. Because of all the jumping involved in these workouts, basketball shoes or cross-trainers work pretty well. DO NOT USE RUNNING SHOES! Well, you can if you want, I just didn’t like them. I experimented with a pair of straight running shoes and almost rolled my ankle a few times. Afterwards, my feet went into cardiac arrest and cramped up like never before. I never wore them again while working out (wasted $90). Then I went back to the basketball shoes, but I was still having a lot of pain in my legs during and after the workouts. So, I dropped $100 on a pair of Reebok Zig-Zags. Awesomeness! Very, very, very, good shoe! I love them! Their design took away almost all the pain in my legs. They are so light; it is like working out on airbags. Reebok’s Zig Tech footwear is designed to conserve and return energy to the athlete for a soft and springy ride. The one-of-a-kind Zig Tech bottom unit features innovative, lightweight foam that is engineered into a dramatic, geometric, zig-zag shape. This unique zig-shaped sole absorbs the impact of heel strike and sends a wave of energy along the length of the shoe to help propel the athlete forward with each step. That is exactly what it feels like when you jump or run in these shoes… You just want to jump out the room! Now, these are running shoe, but they kind of aren’t because of the way the absorb shock. Another shoe that I hear works nicely are the Nike Shox. But the Reebok Zags are just what they claim to be… They are an “energy drink for your feet!”

My final verdict on Insanity is that it is an awesome program for those who are committed to it. In order to get the full worth of a workout program like this you have to look at it as more than just a 60, 90, or 120 day thing. It has to be a lifestyle change in order to see results. You will only get out, what you put in and Insanity demands a lot. But, all the hard work will pay off if you stick with it and buy into its philosophy. If you are extremely out of shape and overweight… Insanity is not for you! If you are unwilling to work harder than you have ever worked in your life and then dig deeper and work harder than that… Insanity is not for you! If you are not willing to change your mind, attitude, and life… Insanity is not for you! But, if you are one of the many of us, like me, who are willing to work harder than you ever have to obtain your fitness goals… Then Insanity might be that perfect stepping-stone for you. Next up for me is recovery for a few weeks. My recovery will consist of working out 5 days a week instead of 6 days, doing some of the lighter Insanity recovery workouts, P90X’s YogaX and StretchX, jogging, bike riding, and just staying active. I will also be experimenting with the Zig-Zag diet and dropping my carbohydrate intake. Then when my body feels like it is ready, I will be starting a P90X-Insanity hybrid program… My journey continues! Stay tuned!

Good luck and keep digging deep my fellow Insaniacs!

S

Share

3 comments:

Renee' said...

Man, KAS that is a GREAT blog post about your final results. I am so super excited to hear about all of the healthy things you have done for yourself. Congrats on your accomplishment and keep up the great work. I loved reading your final post.

Renee'
http://www.home-fitness-workouts.com

Brett said...

Wow. Saw your video featured in Facebook by Insanity and I gotta say, "very inspiring." Also, this is a great post about the program and your success with it.

I am currently doing Insanity (after restarting) and I keep a blog/journal as well. If you're interested, you can find it here: http://insanitydigdeeper.wordpress.com

Congrats man!

Brett said...

By the way... AWESOME fit test results. Anybody that can do 61 Power Jumps definitely deserves respect (that exercise KILLS me haha...)